This year for the second Art House residency program, Salem Art Works is holding a design competition in which teams of artists/architects (3 team-members) propose designs for mobile living spaces. The two winning teams will be supported in constructing their designs on site in May of 2018. Each team will be provided with room and board, a personal studio space, and an adequate amount of materials for building their design. Designs will be chosen based on their functionality and creativity.
Each design/build team will be in residence at SAW from May 9th - June 5th. During the workweek (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm) the artists will focus on building their structures. All residents, including Art House residents, help with cooking and cleaning on a rotating schedule. Outside of the workday, Art House residents are encouraged to utilize the workshops at SAW and allotted personal studio spaces to pursue personal projects.
- Each house construction will start with a simple steel frame welded onto a pre-existing steel trailer deck. (former-camper frames)
- Each house will have a $2,000 budget and will be constructed from the following materials: 2x4 lumber, rough sawn pine boards (board and bat siding), corrugated metal roofing, waterproof plywood, paint or stain for sealing wood. (If you would like to include other materials please account for the cost and specify why this choice supports your design.)
- Each house will have two separate sleeping spaces that accommodate queen or full size beds, both spaces should incorporate shelving and small table/desk space.
- Each house will be leak-free and weather-proof (can withstand intense northeastern weather), AND will be structurally sound and safe to live in.
- Each house must to mobile enough to move around the SAW campus with the trailer hook up. (The Art Houses will be mobile but will not be driven on public roads.)
- Each house design should include a system for lighting the space by means power cords and/or simple wiring. There is no need for any water/plumbing or insulation.
- Measurements for trailer base 1: 26'5'' x 7'7''
- Measurements for trailer base 2: 27'2'' x 7'8''
For Who Early and mid-career artists and designers
Media/Genre Sculpture, Architecture, Visual Artist
When May 9th - June 5th
Duration 4 weeks
Benefits Includes room, board, and studio. Materials for the Art House project.
Costs There is no charge for this residency, however, artists are responsible for travel to and from SAW. Any materials and/or shop charges for personal projects.
Positions Available 9 artists (3 teams of 3)
+ Application Details
Accepting Applications December 15th 2017 thru January 31st 2018
Deadline is January 31st 12am Midnight Eastern Hemisphere
Group All groups applying must select one member as the team leader, this individual will be the main contact and will upload the project preposal for the application. The other two members must also complete the application below but can omit the project proposal.
Notification by March 1st
Salem Art Works is committed to serving artists. All of our programs, activities and services are provided equally without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.